ISRO Identified 4 Indian Air Force Men for Gaganyaan Manned Mission
Four chosen IAF airmen will undergo astronauts' training in Russia. (Photo: ddnews.gov.in)
India’s space agency, Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) had identified four astronauts for Gaganyaan manned mission from Indian Air Force.
- ISRO Chief K. Sivan said that IAF airmen’s training will begin from third week of January, 2020.
- These four chosen IAF airmen will undergo astronauts' training in Russia.
- Gaganyan is planned to be launched in 2022 as announced by the Prime Minister of India earlier.
- According to the ISRO, an unmanned mission will be launched this year to test human rating of propulsion model and micro gravity simulations.
- The Govt. of India has approved Chandrayaan-3 mission and the project is ongoing.
- Chandrayaan-3's configuration will be similar to that of its predecessor, the Chandrayaan-2.
- This means that the Chandrayaan-3 will also have a Lander and a Rover with a propulsion module.
- The Lander and Rover will be soft landing in the south pole of lunar surface. It will carry out experiments that were planned during Chandrayan-2.
ISRO’s Achievements in Year 2019
- After a successful 2019, where ISRO had 13 missions including 6 launch vehicle missions and 7 satellite missions.
- 50 foreign satellites from 7 countries were launched on a commercial basis as well. This year, 2020 promises to be a good year for the Space research organisation.
ISRO's Major plans for Year 2020
1. Chandrayaan 3 including Lander and Rover
2. Work on Gaganyaan fast
- Selection of 4 astronauts
- Training starts in the third week of January
- First unmanned test-flight of Gaganyaan carrying humanoid
3. First flight of SSLV
- Small Satellite Launch Vehicle has payload capacity of 500 kg
- Will operate in Low Earth orbit 500 km
- Capability to support multiple orbital drop-offs
- Will have dedicated launch pad in Sriharikota
- Launch pad called Small Satellite Launch Complex
4. Many new satellites will be launched
- 10 satellite missions at least
- Gisat1 and Gisat-12R for advanced communication
- Earth observation satellites Risat-2BR2, Microsat for surveillance
Download this content in PDF format. It’s FREE.
Tags: isro, isro gaganyaan mission, gaganyaan manned mission, isro chief k sivan, iaf men for gaganyaan, chandrayaan-3 mission, isro’s achievements in year 2019